Thursday, June 4, 2009

Two Down Two to Go!

I finished my second treatment on Monday May 18. It went well, just a little reaction to one of the drugs but not anything near as bad as the last time. Mom drove me to the hospital, Ginger stayed and watched over me (made me laugh too) and Simone picked me up and drove me home. A real team effort! While I'm sitting in the recliner hooked up to the iv I'm pretty much out of it. You never know what I'm going to say (well, ok, even when I'm not "out of it" you never know what I'm going to say so you can imagine how bad it could be). Ginger is there to remind me of all that goes on. A few days after the treatment we play the "Do you remember when....." game. I really don't remember much about what went on there in the chemo room but Ginger fills me in. Here are some of the things that happened (according to Ginger) at my second treatment:

  • The guy who was really grouchy at my first treatment was there again. He was not as grouchy this time. I woke up to find Ginger in a very pleasant conversation. She could tell you his life story but you'd probaly not be very interested.
  • The chemo nurse was mean to me and to Ginger. We don't like her. She wouldn't let Ginger sit in a recliner (even though there were empty one and she wouldn't have taken one from a patient). She also said we talked too much (are you kidding????).
  • An old woman shuffled in and brought her lunch in a brown bag (I missed this whole thing). Sounds like a really fascinating story. Sorry to have slept through it.
  • When I had a reaction to one of the drugs I jumped up and yelled. I do remember this and no, I'm not embarrased, although I probably should be.
  • Ginger bought the formally grouchy guy a bag of chips. Yes, she's definitely going to heaven for her generosity.
  • I had to use the "facilities". The nurse and Ginger came into the bathroom to me. According to Ginger I had a lot of liquids to pass. Aren't you glad to know this.
  • Ginger got me a salad from the cafeteria down stairs. It was really good and I ate the whole thing. Also, this is when she bought the chips for the formally grouchy guy.

So, now you know the kind of things that go on at chemo camp. I hope you find this information fascinating and maybe even useful in some weird way. Got lots more to tell. I'll update again soon. xoxo Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment